What is Assertiveness?
- An assertive person is direct and confident in communicating with other individuals. Assertiveness promotes impartiality and equality in human interactions, based on a positive sense of regard for others and self. It is the direct communication of a person’s wants, feelings and needs, without intimidating, punishing, or placing another person down.
What is Self-Confidence?
- Self-confidence is a conviction in yourself, ability and judgment. It is liberty from uncertainty and when you think you can alter things or make a difference in a situation, you are a lot more likely to succeed.
Good communication skills are important for confident interaction with others. Communication is a significant component of our everyday life. Every interaction we have with others, including, over the phone, chatting online, face to face, or texting is forms of communication, and having solid communication skills will promote every type of interaction we meet.
Identifying your worth
Worth is set as sufficiently good, interesting or significant to justify a certain action. Individuals with a sense of self worth display confidence in themselves. They are happy and feel in charge of their own destiny.
Use positive self talk
Positive self talk allows you to validate, recognize, and employ your full potential in regards to all that you are, and do. This is also called an affirmation, and serves as your own private success degree.
The use of body language
Eye contact: The impact of your communication is affected by the amount of eye contact you maintain with the person with whom you are talking
Posture: Find comfortable standing and sitting postures that work for you, avoiding any slouching or rigid position.
Excessive body movement: Too much movement can deflect attention from the vocal communication.
Make first impressions count
- Watch your body language. Remember that body language makes up to 55% of a communication.
- Dress and groom appropriately. It’s less about your budget, and more about clean and event-appropriate clothing with great grooming.
- Handshake. Use a firm or medium handshake grip, avoiding an overly firm or weak handshake.
- Body movement. Use a mirror, or enlist the aid of a friend to make sure that your movements are not overly active and that they underpin the nature of your message.
Self-confidence plays a significant part in our lives. Being confident allows us to identify and achieve our goals. It offers constancy when we are faced with a challenge and helps us triumph over problems. Self trust is necessary in our professional and personal lives. It gives us the capability to stand up to face our challenges and to stand back up when we fall.